Grants and Scholarships
ABOUT FVD GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIPS
The purposes of the research and scholarship committee are to encourage, support and share quality research and educational development in veterinary dentistry through annual donations.
- The grants have a Dental Forum requirement for reporting research findings within 2 years of the awarded grant.
- Results are to be published in a peer reviewed journal within 4 years of the grant award. Awardee is to provide an annual report to Grants Committee while publication is outstanding.
- The grant awards will be presented by the Chair(s) of Committee and Foundation President at the Dental Forum Awards Ceremony.
2024 Grant Application
Veterinary Dental Forum Scholarships
- Scholarship announcements are made 6 months in advance of the Dental Forum in the Journal of Veterinary Dentistry.
- Decisions as to how many scholarships can be awarded will be based on funds collected.
- Scholarship awards will be restricted to paying for registration to the annual Dental Forum. Future educational sources will be considered.
- All applications must be sent to the person designated in the announcement with a deadline of June 1st, 2019.
- Applicants must be from actively practicing technicians, managers and/or veterinarians. First time attendee(s) to the Dental Forum will be favored.
- A decision of the winner(s) will be made by June 15th by a random selection process.
Applicants will be divided into five groups; 1. veterinary technicians, 2. veterinary technicians that are tracking, 3. international, 4. non-certified veterinary technicians, 5. veterinarians (in that order). One or more individuals from each group (based on the funds available) will be selected on a random basis, to receive the free registration.
If there are more funds available than there are applicants, the remaining funds will be carried over to the next year.
Scholarship Application Not Currently Available
Pat Frost Memorial Scholarship Award
Because of Dr. Pat Frost’s commitment to veterinary dentistry, we have available five grants of $1000 each to assist Phase 2 candidates taking the AVDC credentials examination.
Pat Frost, graduated in 1979 from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Colorado State University. After completing a rotating small animal internship at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine from 1979-1980, Pat continued at UI CVM in the veterinary world’s first dentistry/surgery residency from 1980-1982. Pat wrote one of the first publications about veterinary dentistry, “A Compendium on Canine Dentistry” which was published for five editions. In 1989, Dr. Frost sat for and passed the first exam for a newly formed specialty college called the American Veterinary Dental College. In 1992, she co-authored a second landmark text, the well-known “Veterinary Dental Techniques,” which has had three editions and has been translated into Japanese, Italian and Spanish. Pat used her experience and knowledge to mentor others and provide in-house training at veterinary hospitals. From 1997-1998 she lectured nationally about small animal dentistry. She presented 910 seminars a year for veterinarians, veterinary assistant and technicians. For ten years Pat taught dentistry to veterinary students at Oregon State University and Washington State University. In 2009, she was the recipient of the prestigious Peter Emily Award. Her kindness, humor and love of veterinary dentistry were felt by so many in our small profession and until her untimely passing on July 19, 2016. It was just like Pat to take care of veterinary dentistry in generous bequeaths to the Foundation for Veterinary Dentistry.
2017: with matching funds from the Foundation, 10 recipients were awarded.
Sam Babbitt, Ana Castejon-Gonzalez, Stephanie Goldschmidt, Lorraine Hiscox, Roxane MacLellan, Louise Marron, Danielle Mendelsohn, Hanny Retzkin, G.G. Comet Riggs, Paul Theuns
2018: with matching funds from the Foundation, 10 recipients were awarded.
Williana Basuki, Angelica Bebel, Ellen Domnick, Kevin Haggerty, Curt Ritchie, Christopher Sauve, Alice Sievers, Peter Strom, Paul Theuns, Ignacio Velazquez-Urgel
2019: 5 recipients were awarded.
Amy Thomson, Williana Basuki, Adriana Regalado, Margie Smith, David Menzies
Thank you to our
2024 Titanium Member Contributors
Dr. Cindy Charlier
Companion Animal Dentistry of Kansas City
Dr. William Gengler
Dr. Paul Hobson
Dr. Stephen Juriga
Dr. Milinda Lommer
Dr. Gonzalo Erdozain