ABOUT FVD GRANTS & SCHOLARSHIPS
The purposes of the research and scholarship committee are to encourage, support and share quality research and educational development in veterinary dentistry through annual donations.
- Grant announcements are made in the Spring and Summer issues of the Journal of Veterinary Dentistry
- The grants have a Dental Forum requirement for reporting research findings within 2 years of the awarded grant
- Results are to be published in a peer reviewed journal within 4 years of the grant award. Awardee is to provide an annual report to Grants Committee while publication is outstanding
- The grant awards will be presented by the Chair(s) of Committee and Foundation President at the Dental Forum Awards Ceremony.
Helping Hands Scholarships
- Scholarship announcements are made 6 months in advance of the Dental Forum in the Journal of Veterinary Dentistry.
- Decisions as to how many scholarships can be awarded will be based on funds collected.
- Scholarship awards will be restricted to paying for registration to the annual Dental Forum. Future educational sources will be considered.
- All applications must be sent to the person designated in the announcement with a deadline of July 15th, 2018.
- Applicants must be from actively practicing technicians, managers and/or veterinarians. First time attendee(s) to the Dental Forum will be favored.
- A decision of the winner(s) will be made by August 1st by a random selection process from the Scholarship committee.
Applicants will be divided into five groups; 1. veterinary technician’s, 2. veterinary technician’s that are tracking, 3. non-certified veterinary technician’s, 4. veterinary managers, 5. veterinarians (in that order). One or more individuals from each group (based on the funds available) will be selected by the Scholarship committee, on a random basis, to receive the free registration.
If there are insufficient funds to cover all the categories, the final selections will be made by the members of the Scholarship committee as they see fit.
If there are more funds available than there are applicants then, the remaining funds will either be carried over to the next year or will be given to one or more of the applicants on a random basis at the discretion of the Scholarship committee.
Pat Frost Memorial Scholarship Award
Because of Dr. Pat Frost’s commitment to veterinary dentistry, we have available five grants of $1000 each to assist Phase 2 candidates taking the AVDC credentials examination.
Pat Frost, graduated in 1979 from the College of Veterinary Medicine at Colorado State University. After completing a rotating small animal internship at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine from 1979-1980, Pat continued at UI CVM in the veterinary world's first dentistry/surgery residency from 1980-1982. Pat wrote one of the first publications about veterinary dentistry, "A Compendium on Canine Dentistry" which was published for five editions. In 1989, Dr. Frost sat for and passed the first exam for a newly formed specialty college called the American Veterinary Dental College. In 1992, she co-authored a second landmark text, the well-known "Veterinary Dental Techniques," which has had three editions and has been translated into Japanese, Italian and Spanish. Pat used her experience and knowledge to mentor others and provide in-house training at veterinary hospitals. From 1997-1998 she lectured nationally about small animal dentistry. She presented 910 seminars a year for veterinarians, veterinary assistant and technicians. For ten years Pat taught dentistry to veterinary students at Oregon State University and Washington State University. In 2009, she was the recipient of the prestigious Peter Emily Award. Her kindness, humor and love of veterinary dentistry were felt by so many in our small profession and until her untimely passing on July 19, 2016. It was just like Pat to take care of veterinary dentistry in generous bequeaths to the Foundation for Veterinary Dentistry.
Candidates taking the practical examination in June who are interested in applying for these funds will be provided the application.
In 2017, with matching funds from the Foundation, 10 recipients were awarded scholarships to attend the 2017 Veterinary Dental Forum.